* An Education, Health and Care Needs Assessment (EHCNA) - Requests & EHC Hub
Coronavirus (COVID 19) Information
We're working hard to keep the EHC plan process moving. Assessments for an EHC plan may look different as it becomes more difficult to do our work face to face. We may need to do more by telephone or video calls where possible. Our decision-making panels are moving to online meetings. We'll continue to review this.
Temporary EHCP legislative changes relating to Coronavirus (COVID-19)
The government have legislated two tempory changes with effect from 1 May 2020 relating to educational and health care provision within an EHCP and timescales:
- Section 42 of the CFA 2014 (duty to secure special educational provision and health care provision in accordance with EHC plan): the duty on LAs or commissioning health bodies to secure or arrange the provision is temporarily modified to a duty to use ‘reasonable endeavours’ to do so. This temporary modification is until 31 May 2020 and will be reviewed before 1 June 2020. It must be renewed monthly, where the Secretary of State decides it is still appropriate and proportionate.
- The SEND (Coronavirus) (Amendment) Regulations 2020 amend Regs that specify timescales that principally relate to EHC needs assessments and plans. Where it is not reasonably practicable, or is impractical, to meet that time limit for a reason relating to the incidence or transmission of coronavirus, the specific time limit will not apply - process must be completed as soon as reasonably practicable. The timescale temporary modifications are in place until 25 September 2020.
All other aspects of SEND Law remain in place.
- Staffordshire County Council - A notice from the Secretary of State for Education issued under the Coronavirus Act 2020 to modify Section 42 of the Children and Families Act 2014
- André Imich, SEN and Disability Professional Adviser, Department of Education - slides on temporary legislative changes.
- Department for Education Guidance: EHC needs assessments and plans: guidance on temporary legislative changes relating to coronavirus (COVID-19)
Information on education, health and care needs assessments and plans:
- What is an Education Health and Care Needs Assessment and Plan
- How to request an Education Health and Care Needs Assessment including information and guides on Staffordshire's EHC Hub.
- Annual Reviews
- The graduated response - special educational needs support in schools
- More information on education settings and support can be found on our education information and directory page.
Who to contact
- Contact Name
- Education Health and Care (EHC) Hub
- EHC Hub