Aiming High - Short breaks
A wide variety of activities are available for children and young people aged 0-25 years old with a Special Educational Need/Disability (SEND).
- Activities include trips out, sports, youth clubs, outdoor activities and much more!
- Some activities are open to the whole family while other activities are for children and young people to attend independently.
- Children and young people can access a set amount of FREE activities each month (usually 1 a month with extra during school holidays).
- Access to additional activities can be made by making a financial contribution.
- The Lifeskills and Independence Service is available for 11-25 year olds who need a higher level of support. Please note that 18-25 year olds who wish to take part must have an Education Health and Care Plan in place and must not be accessing Adult Social Care services.
To book places or to ask any questions please call 0300 111 8007 (Option 5)
Please can we ask that parents/carers let our booking team know as soon as possible if your child is no longer able to attend an activity, so that these valuable places can be offered to other families.
Who can take part in Aiming High Activities?
Aiming High activities are open to:
- 0-18 year old's with a Special Educational Need/Disability (SEND), who live in Staffordshire.
- 18-25 year old's with a Special Educational Need/Disability (SEND) who live in Staffordshire can access support through our Lifeskills and Independence Programme, however, they must also:
- have an EHCP.
- NOT be eligible to receive paid care and support services from Adult Social Care.
Staffordshire's Aiming High programme is predominantly open to families who live in the Staffordshire County Council boundary, however, occasionally spaces are available which we can offer to families living in the Stoke on Trent area. These places will, however, incur a charge.
Families living in the Stoke on Trent area are very welcome to contact our booking team after the 11th of the month prior to activities taking place to see what places are available, however, priority will be given to Staffordshire families. Staffordshire families can also access the Stoke on Trent offer after the 11th of the month prior to activities taking place.
For more information on the Stoke on Trent Aiming High programme please call 01782 683129.
How much does an Aiming High Activity Cost?
- Children and young people can access a set amount of FREE activities each month (usually 1 a month, with extra during the school holidays).
- Children and young people can then take part in other activities, however, there will be a charge for these (charges are highlighted in individual adverts).
- There is no charge to access the 1:1 support provided through our Lifeskills and Independence Programme, however, families may need to pay for activities that are accessed as part of this.
All charges are paid directly to the provider at the activity
Aiming High Lifeskills and Independence - 1:1 Support for 11-25 Year Olds
Do you know an 11-25 year old with a Special Educational Need/Disability from Staffordshire who needs some support?
- Our Lifeskills and Independence programme may be able to help!
- A maximum of 14 sessions of 1:1 support are available.
- Each session will last from 2-4 hours (parents/carers do not need to stay).
- Support is FREE, however, families may have to pay for some activities that are accessed as part of this.
- Support is very flexible and young people/families can suggest the outcomes that they would like to work towards but examples could include confidence building, money skills, social skills, preparing for the future plus much more! Staff are also able to accompany young people to Aiming High and other activities to make sure they feel comfortable.
- Please note that 18-25 year olds can only take part in this service if they:
- have an EHCP.
- are NOT eligible to receive paid care and support services from Adult Social Care.
- Please see the activity listings below for information on support available in your area or call 0300 111 8007 (option 5) for more information.
How do I book places and ask any questions?
- To book places or for any questions please call 0300 111 8007 (option 5).
- Lines are open Monday - Friday 9am-5pm.
- To make sure that everyone has a chance to access at least one free activity, free activities can be booked between the 1st-11th of the month prior to the activity taking place (please note that these dates may change slightly to fit around bank holiday periods/Sundays).
- Bookings for additional activities will then be taken after the 11th of the month prior to the activity taking place.
- Our staff will let you know if places are available and if so will pass your details to the provider. The provider will then contact you to discuss any support requirements and confirm your place.
- If you have registered your interest with our Contact Centre but have not had your place confirmed prior to the activity, please telephone the Contact Centre/provider to discuss this further to ensure that the arrangements are all in place.
- If you need to cancel an activity don’t worry, but please just try to let us or the provider know with as much notice as possible so that the place can be offered to another child/young person.
Where else can I find other activities?
You can find information on lots of other activities and things to do across Staffordshire in the Local Offer section of Staffordshire Connects.