Making social connections
There are a number of ways to make new connections. Being involved with your local community or just getting out of the house to enjoy your favourite activity or go shopping are all important aspects of healthy living.
Why is being socially connected important?
Being soically connected can make you or someone you know feel less lonely. Loneliness is a massive issue for people, especially in later life in the UK.
Did you know that:
- 200,000 older people say they haven't had a conversation with friends or family for a month.
- 3.9 million older people agree the television is their main form of company.
- Loneliness can be as harmful for our health as smoking 15 cigarettes a day.
It can be difficult to accept feelings of loneliness, but it's important to know that there are many ways to connect with other people.
If you want to find a local group, activity or event in your area, try searching here on Staffordshire Connects. Just click on the right hand menu to find organisations and groups in your local area.
How do I get involved?
- Find out more about a befriending service
- Join a local lunch club
- Have a go at volunteering
- Use an online forum - information is from Staffordshire County Council
- Visit your local library - information is from Staffordshire County Council