Skip to main content

Transition planning and support

We have a duty to carry out a transition assessment where a young person or carer is likely to have needs for care and support, when they or the person they care for goes from children’s care and support services to the adult care and support system when they turn 18.

What is a transition assessment?

A transition assessment will take into account the wellbeing of the young person, or carer, so that assessment and support planning is based around what that person needs and the outcomes that matter to them.

Even if someone’s needs are not eligible for support the council have a duty to provide information, advice and guidance. The focus of support will be on how needs can be met and how they can be delayed or prevented from getting worse.

Who will need a transition assessment?

  • Young people with special educational needs and disabilities with an Education Health and Care plan in place.
  • People who do not have an Education, Health and Care plan who may have needs in adulthood e.g. those young people with degenerative conditions or young people receiving Children and Adolescent Mental Health services.
  • Young carers as they approach adulthood, including any impact of the caring role on other members of the family.
  • Adult carers as the young person reaches adulthood to ensure that their needs are met and taking into account any support that may be required as a result of changes, for example leaving school.

When and how will the assessment take place?

A transition assessment will be carried out when it is of ‘significant benefit’ to the young person or carer; this means the timing of the assessment should be at a point at which the needs for care and support can be reasonably predicted.

Education health and care plans will need to include preparation for adulthood at the annual review point from year 9 (i.e. age 14 years) onwards, so it can be decided when it is of significant benefit to carry out an assessment so that needs in adulthood can be identified and planned for.

We will respond to requests for transition assessments from the young person or their representatives and provide in writing reasons for not providing an assessment at a particular point in time.

What happens once the assessment has taken place?

Good transition planning should be based on what is important to the young person and what they want to achieve so they, and their families, can prepare for adulthood. The council and its partners will need to make sure that transition to adulthood is as smooth as possible for the young person or their carers.

The council and its partners will work together to make sure that young people and carers in transition receive timely information, advice and guidance, an assessment at an appropriate point in time and continuation of care and support, where appropriate.

At an appropriate point in time, the council or its partners need to confirm eligible needs that will be met and develop a plan as to how those needs will be met. Any non-eligible needs should also be detailed in the support plan or relevant education, health and care plan at this point.

What we will do

A dedicated transition work stream has to be established.

Work will progress to improve our current processes and planning arrangements across both children’s and adult services.